Postdoctoral Fellows in the Whiting and Krieger Schools are eligible for comprehensive health, short-term and long-term disability, and other benefits. Note that while most benefits are subsidized either in full or part for the postdoctoral fellow, there may be additional costs associated for the individual postdoctoral fellow and/or for any eligible dependents. These additional costs are usually the responsibility of the postdoctoral fellow.  Please read each section and enrollment process carefully.

If you have any questions, please ask your program administrator or contact

BenefitHow to Enroll
Health Insurance (SHP)Must complete and submit enrollment or waiver form. Postdoctoral Fellows may not waive insurance for themselves, but may apply to waive enrollment for their dependents/partners if they can show proof of comparable insurance coverage.

Note that Homewood postdoctoral fellows do not have to pay the UHS fee.

Dental Insurance (BCBS)Auto-enrolled, effective appointment start date: Dental Plan Benefits Summary
Life InsuranceAuto-enrolled in the insurance. There is an option to complete and submit a beneficiary designation form.

Note that failure to designate a beneficiary can result in tax liability to your estate.

Short Term DisabilityAuto-enrolled, effective appointment start date

 In advance of any expected medical leave: Contact Christine Kavanagh (WSE) or Renee Eastwood (KSAS) to officially request an appointment leave (called a ”Leave of Absence'”), and then Call Lincoln Financial at 1-888-246-4483 or go to (register using company code JHUEE). For further details on how or when to report a claim, refer to Reporting a Short-Term Disability Claim.
The first 14 days of your leave will be unpaid.  After that, you are eligible for short-term disability based on the note provided by your doctor. Your supervisor must also be advised of your pending leave.

Long Term DisabilityAuto-enrolled in Group and Individual Plan
Travel Insurance Auto-enrolled, effective appointment start date
O’Connor Recreation Center MembershipVisit their website for more information. Postdoctoral fellows are automatically eligible for gym membership as long as they have an active JHU JHED ID; but must fill out a registration form in order to activate their membership. Membership fees can be paid through either a check, credit card, cash or payroll deduction- for more details, please contact the Recreation Center Office. Forms for payment and registration must be done in-person at the Recreation Center Office during business hours.
Unmatched 403bContact departmental administrator, form is at the University Benefits office (not HR)
JHEAP (JH Employee Assistance Program- Counseling, Referrals, etc.) Auto-enrolled, effective appointment start date

Emotional Support
Through Johns Hopkins Employee Assistance Program (JHEAP), JHHS employees and their household family members have free 24/7 access to confidential counseling and referral services for help with stress at work or at home, emotional distress, a difficult life transition, or other challenges. JHEAP will provide referrals to licensed clinicians in your area for a televideo, telephonic or in-person appointment OR you can opt for an in-person appointment with a member of the JHEAP On-Site Clinical Team, located on various Johns Hopkins campuses. Your first five counseling sessions are free and won’t require use of your insurance. 

You can reach JHEAP 24/7, 365 days a year, by phone at 888-978-1262.

Daily Life Assistance
Through JHEAP, you and your household family members have 24/7 telephone access to a daily life assistance counselor who can offer resources and referrals for child care, elder care, pet care, parenting issues — even household help, such as finding a contractor. JHEAP’s online services also can help you find services and resources for prenatal care, adoption, emergency care, summer camps, school and college search, and other needs. And JHEAP also offers phone and in-person legal services; financial services, such as help with budgeting, managing debt, and tax preparation; and identity theft resolution and consultation.
Termination Benefits/ProceduresLife insurance, disability insurance, dental insurance, and health insurance coverages will terminate at the end of the month in which your fellowship appointment terminates unless you take action to extend health insurance and dental insurance under the COBRA regulations or convert life and disability insurance to a direct pay basis. Please contact for more information prior to the end of your appointment.

Health Insurance for Postdoctoral Fellows in Krieger and Whiting

All Krieger and Whiting Schools postdoctoral fellows are eligible to use the Student Health and Wellness Center on the Homewood Campus. In order to do so, postdoctoral fellows are required to maintain adequate health insurance coverage to provide protection against unexpected accidents and illnesses, and will need to comply with all pre-entrance health requirements of the Student Health and Wellness Center.  To this end, postdoctoral fellows are enrolled in individual coverage administered by SHP (The Student Health Plan), free of charge. Postdoctoral Fellows may not waive their individual coverage.  If a postdoctoral fellow wishes to purchase additional coverage or waive coverage for family members, this must be done at his/her own expense, or with the financial assistance of their faculty advisor using non-sponsored sources.

Enrollment Process: Postdoctoral fellows must submit completed enrollment or waiver forms to the KSAS/WSE Office of Human Resources (form has complete contact information): SHP enrollment form. A brief chart summary of benefits can be found above. Note that Homewood postdoctoral fellows do not have to pay the UHS fee.

Anyone with specific coverage concerns is encouraged to contact SHP/EHP directly at  EHP customer services: 410-424-4450.

Please contact  if you need your ID number sooner than when your card arrives in the mail (it takes about 3 weeks).

Dental Insurance for Postdoctoral Fellows in Krieger and Whiting

All Krieger and Whiting Schools postdoctoral fellows are eligible for annual individual coverage in the CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield dental insurance plan. There is no cost to the postdoctoral fellow for this insurance. Unfortunately this plan cannot be extended to spouses/same-sex domestic partners/dependents.

Enrollment Process: New postdoctoral fellows are automatically enrolled.

Long Term Disability and Life Insurance:

For convenience, the forms and relevant informational memos are located here:

Enrollment Process: Complete and submit the Long Term Disability Individual Coverage Application and the Life Insurance Beneficiary Form.

Faculty and Staff Assistance Program (FASAP) for Postdoctoral Fellows in Krieger and Whiting

KSAS and WSE postdoctoral fellows are eligible for FASAP services, without charge, as a benefit of their appointments in the Krieger and Whiting Schools. FASAP provides suitable resources to assist fellows with the pressures and difficulties they may encounter over the course of their time at Johns Hopkins. It is our goal to assist individuals  through difficult times and to help them develop a plan to remedy concerns. Some common concerns are stress, anxiety, and depression, substance abuse, life transitions, relationships, productivity, and financial stress. FASAP has offices located at Eastern High School, East Baltimore, and Bayview. KSAS and WSE postdoctoral fellows are also eligible for select Worklife programs, also sponsored by Work, Life & Engagement. These include the Back-up Care and Child Care Referral Programs which assist fellows with emergency care needs and ongoing child care placements. FASAP and Worklife: 443-997-7000 or for assistance or to schedule an appointment.

Worklife programs also provide information about childcare services in the area.  Postdocs are welcome to make use of this service.

Enrollment Process: Postdoctoral fellows are automatically eligible as long as they have an active JHU JHED ID.

Services for Postdoctoral Fellows with Disabilities

Postdoctoral fellows with a disability who may need accommodations at Johns Hopkins University are urged to contact the Office of Institutional Equity (OIE) and read this policy.

Short-Term Disability Insurance

Krieger and Whiting School postdoctoral fellows will be automatically enrolled for short-term disability insurance provided by The Hartford. To activate this benefit, postdocs should contact their local departmental administrator or appropriate HR representative immediately; and contact The Hartford at 800-303-9744. (

Enrollment Process: New postdoctoral fellows are automatically enrolled.

Access to O’Connor Athletic Center

Krieger and Whiting Schools postdoctoral fellows are eligible to join the O’Connor Recreation Center. Postdoctoral fellows can gain entry to the Recreation Center by presenting their J-Card (Hopkins photo ID card) to the front desk. (Note: if the J-Card does not say “Postdoc”, it must be replaced and updated at the J-Card Office.)

Enrollment Process: Postdoctoral fellows are automatically eligible as long as they have an active JHU JHED ID; but must fill out a registration form in order to activate their membership. Membership fees can be paid through either a check or payroll deduction. Forms for payment and registration must be done in-person at the Recreation Center Office during business hours.

Travel Insurance

Any postdoctoral fellow going to another country for Johns Hopkins University business purposes is automatically eligible for ISOS travel insurance and the Johns Hopkins Travel Registry.

Enrollment Process: Postdoctoral fellows are automatically eligible as long as they have an active JHU JHED ID.

Employment and Tax Information

Payroll for postdoctoral fellows is handled through the University Experiential Learning. Federal regulations prohibit the Student Employment Office from entering non-US Citizens into the payroll system before a person’s physical arrival on campus. Due to the length of time necessary to process payroll, it can take a few weeks before payroll disbursement becomes normal.

Fellows must check in with their departmental administrators upon arrival to have their electronic I-9 (Employment Authorization) completed along with forms W4 and MW507  for submission to the University Experiential Learning.  Anyone with a valid SSN may fill in Section 1 of the I-9 online and must go to SES with their documentation to have there I-9 approved within the first three days of employment.  Anyone who does not have a SSN must have an authorized University representative at SES complete the I-9 on their behalf.  Non-resident aliens need to complete the JHU Foreign National Information Form (FNIF) while US Permanent Residents are not required to complete the form. The FNIF is used by the JHU Tax Office to ensure that earnings are taxed appropriately and must be furnished to the JHU Tax Office upon arrival. A copy of the form also needs to be supplied to the departmental administrator for the purposes of making sure payroll is entered properly into the JHU payroll system.

Departments are responsible for submitting hours and pay rate information to Student Employment. Neither the department nor the Student Employment Office can answer any tax or tax withholding questions.

Tax Obligations for Graduate Students

Postdoctoral fellows are subject to specific tax filing guidelines by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and may also be subject to filing state taxes. As a guide through this process the IRS provides Publication 970, which spells out all tax obligations for students.

U.S. Citizens

At Johns Hopkins University, graduate students are supported by sources classified as “fellowships” or “wages.” Some examples are listed below.

Fellowships, including:

  • Training grants
  • Individual NRSA fellowships
  • External fellowships (NSF, Ford, Samsung, Merck, etc.)
  • Departmental funds (usually first-year students only)

Wages, including:

  • Research grants or contracts from the NIH or other organizations •
  • Departmental funds (second-year students and beyond)
  • Teaching assistantships

Both “fellowships” and “wages” are subject to federal and state tax, but the University withholds funds only for “wages.” Graduate Students must pay quarterly estimated taxes if they receive funds as “fellowships.” Funds provided to cover tuition and required fees and/or educational expenses are non-taxable for full- time students and need not be reported. This category includes student health insurance fees – a requirement of enrollment.

Nonresident Aliens

International students also receive financial support from the sources listed above. As such, these funds are taxable at the federal level unless the student’s country of origin has established an appropriate tax treaty with the U.S. government. Countries with tax treaties are tabulated at Typically, such countries provide tax exemptions for educational expenses for a period of 2-7 years. The specific benefits provided to students and trainees are documented at the website listed above. (At times, these tax treaties are honored at the state level, but not in Maryland.)

If a graduate student wishes to claim a treaty benefit he or she should visit the University Tax Office.

Other Educational Income

Graduate students may earn additional income from tutoring, leading small group discussions, or other activities, including the one-time ‘bonus’ provided to those earning external fellowships. This income is taxable according to the guidelines given above. For international graduate students, tax treaties (if present) may limit the dollar amount of non-taxable additional income, but the limit is generally above the amounts earned by students on this campus.

Life Design Lab

The Life Design Lab offers comprehensive confidential services to postdoctoral fellows. Services include: resume, CV, and cover letter critiques; assistance with interviewing, networking and searching for a job; career counseling for exploration of values, interests, and skills; workshops, employer information sessions, and a career resource library. Postdoctoral fellows have access to all of these services through Handshake, the Life Design Lab’s job-search database. Handshake has information on upcoming career fairs, on-campus recruiting, and can contact a life design educator.

Office of International Students and Scholars (OIS)

The Office of International Services supports international students, scholars, postdoctoral fellows and faculty associated with the Homewood Campus of Johns Hopkins University.  Through a variety of services and programs, OIS staff members work to ensure that the legal, cultural, and other special needs of our international communities are met so that these individuals can achieve their academic and personal goals. Postdoctoral fellows are responsible for maintaining valid visa status while employed at Johns Hopkins University, and are encouraged to communicate and meet with OIS representatives throughout their tenure to confirm compliance.

Campus Ministries

Johns Hopkins University Campus Ministries promotes and supports spiritual development, theological reflections, religious tolerance and social awareness among post-doctoral fellows, students, faculty and staff within the university community.

Campus Events

From movies to seminars to sports events to dance classes, there is always something going on at Homewood. Make sure you are on the list for Today’s Announcements and double check the calendar daily. Most activities are free and open to all.

Intramural Sports

Participants must be current Homewood and Peabody students, postdocs, faculty, staff, or Hopkins affiliate with a valid membership to the O’Connor Recreation Center and must show proper identification in order to participate. Participation may incur a fee/costs.

Spectator Sports

Johns Hopkins has over 20 competitive athletic men’s and women’s teams, ranging from fencing to lacrosse. Many games/matches are available and free to watch.  Postdoctoral fellows can visit the Hopkins Sports website for the game/match schedules and for contact information for tickets. In addition, Baltimore is home to the Orioles and Ravens.

University Publications

There are a number of University-wide and divisional-specific publications. Postdoctoral fellows can cisit the Johns Hopkins News Network website for a full listing of available publications.